Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Math Games

I was just curious, if you present some math problems as a "game" are students more willing to learn the concepts? For example, when I was learning to type, my keyboarding teacher had this Mario typing game where the faster and more accurate you typed, the faster your character went. The game was great fun and the computer in which the game was one always had a long waiting line. Sure practice had a lot to with it, but learning to type was much more entertaining with the game.


So, can the same be said for math? Do games like Sudoku help kids strengthen problem solving and logic skills while being entertaining? How about other games that may utilize a system of equations? I think that when I am a teacher, I would like to have a "game day" once a quarter to help kids have fun with math.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

This is a great idea!

Did you know that, from a certain point of view, playing tetris or minesweeper is considered an NP-complete problem? They involve tricky computation to play well.

If your students like minesweeper, you could integrate that in with logic explanations - showing how some situations require a series of logical deductions. You could also use probability to design better guesses.

I'd love to hear more suggestions about other possible games that are useful for teaching.