Saturday, November 22, 2008

Digital Medias In Mathematics

I recently had a conversation with my husband about using technology in mathematics, and he asked me how much technology can you incorporate into teaching math without distracting from it? He brings up a great point. Through my tech class, I have learned so many new tools to use in education, but I don't think that I can use all of them when teaching. For instance, if I use a tool that students are unfamiliar with, will they be too frustrated by the new method of learning to listen, or are kids like a sponge and they soak up new information? I think we do have to be selective and chose what types of digital medias will enhance students' learning in our classroom, not distract them from what is important, learning the subject matter. It is very useful, however, to have an arsenal of tools that we can pick and choose from to see what works best for us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am, personally, planning to have a blog for each of my future math classes. I think it will help to organize and to keep visual such things as curriculum, assignments, evaluations and so on. I can also put there little helpings, for example some detailed solution or additional explanations for tough points. I can also ask my students to submit some works here or answer questionnaires. It is not necessary has to be hard for students because it quite passive participation that can be done almost without learning.